+48 22 208 5497 +48 22 389 6366 Book Appointment Contact


If you are a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you do not need a work permit to work in Slovakia. However, if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen, you will need to obtain a work permit to work in Slovakia.

There are two types of work permits in Slovakia: (1) employee card and (2) temporary residence for the purpose of employment.

To apply for a work permit in Slovakia, you will need to submit your application at the Slovak embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. You will need to provide various documents, such as a job offer letter, a valid passport, and proof of accommodation.

Some of the in-demand jobs in Slovakia include IT specialists, engineers, healthcare professionals, language teachers, and skilled workers in the automotive and manufacturing industries.

The average monthly salary in Slovakia is around €1,200. However, salaries can vary depending on the industry, occupation, and location.

The job market in Slovakia is relatively competitive, with a higher demand for skilled professionals in certain industries. However, there are also opportunities for entry-level positions and seasonal work.

Technically, you can look for a job in Slovakia while on a tourist visa. However, you will need to obtain a work permit before you can start working legally in the country.

It can be challenging for foreigners to find work in Slovakia, especially if they do not speak Slovak. However, there are opportunities for English speakers in certain industries, such as IT and education. Networking and seeking out job opportunities through online job portals and recruitment agencies can also be helpful.

In general, non-EU citizens need a work visa to legally labor in Slovakia. Thanks to the EU's policy of freedom of movement, EU citizens can labor without a visa.


A National (D) Visa, which can be used for employment purposes, is typically required to work in Slovakia. This visa is convertible to a transient residence permit, which is frequently required for long-term employment contracts.

You can submit an application at the Slovakian embassy or consulate in your home country. Typically, you are required to submit an application form, valid travel documents (such as a passport), proof of health insurance, a job contract or job offer from a Slovak company, and additional documents proving you satisfy the requirements.


The processing period can vary based on the specifics of each case, but is typically around 30 days. In some instances, it may take up to 90 days.

Yes, you may petition for your family members to join you, but they must submit a separate visa application.

A Slovakia National (D) Visa allows you to stay in the country for up to 90 days. If you are planning to stay longer, you must apply for a temporary residence permit.

You cannot extend a work visa, but you can apply for a temporary residence permit if you intend to work in Slovakia for an extended period of time.


A Slovakia National (D) Visa permits travel to Schengen Area countries for up to 90 days within 180 days. For extended stays or employment in another EU country, a separate visa or permit may be required.


Yes, you are welcome to bring your family, which includes the following:

  1. Your spouse must be at least 18 years old.
  2. Your offspring under 18 years of age
  3. Children of your spouse younger than 18 years
  4. Your own children over the age of 18 or your spouse's children who are unable to support themselves due to severe medical conditions.
  5. Your parents or those of your spouse who lack family support in their native country

Your family members can study and work in Slovakia during their stay. In addition, the Foreign Police Department may grant residence to your family members until the expiration of your own visa.

Government of Poland: Useful links

Scroll to Top